Your home’s heating and cooling system should give you many years of service with proper maintenance.
- Preventive maintenance will lower your energy costs, prevent costly repairs and prolong the life of your system.
- Regular maintenance will ensure that your system is ready to heat and cool your home when needed.
- There are a variety of systems for heating, ventilating and cooling your home. This web page discusses the most common systems and their individual components. Review all sections that apply to your home. For specific information on how to maintain the system in your home, see the manufacturers’ appliance manuals for the equipment in your home.
- If you are missing one or more original appliance manuals, contact the appliance manufacturer and ask for a replacement manual. Most manufacturers should replace missing manuals. Also all owners manuals are available online.
- The suggestions listed below are a reminder that your home’s system must be maintained regularly. Always follow the manufacturer’s maintenance specifications.